Monday, July 19, 2010

Netflix insight

Morgan and I love having Netflix instant watch. I use to tease Morgan about watching the documentaries they have on there. But recently I've started watching a lot of them with him. When I got home from running last night he had one on that I've been avoiding. It was called "Lord, Save Us from Your Followers." I read the title and assumed it would be a documentary detailing the crazy antics of Christians and basically making fun of them. And it did. But not in the way I imagined.

Basically this guy, Dan Merchant, went around the country interviewing celebrities, political and religious leaders, and everyday people on the street. He would ask them they're view of Christians. Some people spoke admirably about Christians, while most had negative things to say. This didn't surprise me. The most common criticism from most of the people interviewed was the feeling of judgment and hate given to unbelievers from Christians.

Two parts in the film brought me to tears. One part was a rock radio station from somewhere up north traveled to Africa and met some Christian missionaries and were shocked at how loving and caring those people were. From what the radio personalities said, they did not know too many Christians in America that were showing this same love and kindness to their community.The second part that affected me was a group of believers in Oregon (the state with the least amount of believers) that meet every Saturday night under a bridge in town. There they minister to the homeless. They feed, cloth, and provide services such as hair washing, barbering, and feet washing. It was unbelievable to see this!

As our church is coming to a turning point and can't help but think, it's not about us, it's not about where we are, it's about serving and loving those people that need Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment