Monday, August 22, 2011

My Rant on Coupons

I've been trying my best to get into couponing. Since I quit my job to stay home with the girls money has been tight and I thought coupons could give us some help. Couponing is everywhere. I hear about people paying $20 for $100 worth of groceries, what's not to love about that? So once the girls were born and I got into a rhythm I started buying the Sunday paper and clipping away. That's when I first noticed the problem.

It seemed like I was only clipping 4 maybe 5 coupons. Most of them are for things I don't buy. Nobody eats Fruit by the foot or buys hair coloring in this house. I kept at it cause that's what everyone told me. Now I have used a few coupons, but nothing that really astonished me by my savings.

So I'll give it another month to see if it gets any better, but I'm pretty convinced that couponing is not working for me. I get more frustrated with it then it works for me.

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked at any of the sites? moneysavingmom.com and krazycouponlady.com match up the coupons with sales each week - I search for winn-dixie and albertsons deals since those are our local stores. You really don't save much unless you pair the coupons with a sale. I spend 3 hours a week on coupons - 2 hours reading blogs/printing coupons, and 1 hour clipping them getting my list ready.
    You really have to keep at it for 3-4 months before you see a big dent in your budget. I have had a few trips like the $10 for $100 of groceries, but more often I spend $20 for $50 worth of groceries, and I stock up on whatever is on sale. So, I might buy 20 lbs of beef to put in the freezer one week when its on sale, and another week I might buy 10 boxes of cereal or 30 lbs of frozen veggies. I do go to 5 stores each shopping trip, but it is worth the savings to me, and I only have my 6 year old with me. I'd be happy to tell you specifically how to save with coupons if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete