Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I'm feeling crafty

So I decided today I'm going to develop a craft. My mom really tried to instill in us girls the domestic trades that women have learned for centuries. But mom didn't always have the patients for teaching some of these trades. I did learn to cook pretty well from her, I can make some killer apple pan dotty. She also taught me to cross stitch. It was pretty cool at the time, basically making a painting with thread and fabric. But as I grew older cross stitching didn't really have a future for me. Mom also attempted to teach me to crotchet. She has made beautiful afghans for people when they get married or have a baby. She has made me several afghans that are used a lot. But that craft just didn't translate with me. To monotonous. I picked up knitting for a while but living in Florida, I really wouldn't need knit scarves or sweaters.

So I decided to take up sewing, more precisely quilting. How hard can it be right? I picked up some books at the library (my favorite place) that gave beginner instructions and some simple patterns. This weekend is payday so I'm going to run up to Joann Fabrics and see the selection of fabric they got and get started learning to sew.

I know the days of sewing clothes because they are cheaper are over. But how cool would it be if I could be the women who sews a new quilt for people! Here's hoping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment